Skip to main content

Happy February, OP!

1. TC’s neighborhood association presidents are meeting soon. I will be attending, but I’d like to hear “what’s important to you” from more Oak Park neighbors.

2. Gatherings? Is it time we get together? Maybe a skate at F&M? Sledding party at the Civic Center? Winter walk down to the Little Fleet? Or something else? If you’re interested in coordinating, please let me know.


3. The City Commission is seeking an outside legal opinion on the 1947 agreement re: the Parkway redesign tonight. If you’d like to stay in the loop, complete this form.


That’s it for now.


Keep awesome, Oak Park.


~ Ty

“When my babies were in school, I went back to teaching and got a job at Oak Park Elementary School.  My students lived in this neighborhood, and many of their wonderful families still do today. In 2010, this tiny, run-down house came up for sale, I coordinated the purchase of the ¼ lot adjoining, so I could have a big garden.  The old building on that ¼ lot was a creamery in the early 1900’s.


My son tore it down, board by board, so we could recycle things, and then we did the same with the house.  The Steinorth brothers, long-time Oak Park neighbors, built my house to be highly energy efficient.  I was attracted to this neighborhood because it felt like moving “home.”  I knew and cared for people here.


I often tell people that I live in an area where the houses are small and the hearts are big.  I like being able to ride my bike or walk to the things I need.  To be totally honest, I don’t enjoy summers here as much because of the traffic and noise.  Getting up into the wilderness of Ontario recharges my internal battery.


A recent example of the caring nature of this neighborhood happened just two weeks ago.  I just returned, after two weeks at my son’s house as he recovered from brain surgery and a stroke.  I finally headed out to my garage, shovel over my shoulder, to clear my driveway of snow and all the heavy plow chunks piled up.  I opened the garage door, and stepped out onto a perfectly cleared driveway!  I’ve asked everyone I can think of, and no one takes credit for shoveling, so the kindness continues as a mystery, but so appreciated!  I am blessed to live in a community like this!”


~ Mary Van Valin


*Humans of Oak Park is a storytelling series that aims to better connect the people who live in Traverse City’s finest neighborhood.*